Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Spaces In-between.



In my quest for a deeper understanding of myself and striving for self guruing ( is that even a word?...hmmmm. It is now...:) I swim constantly through a sea of spiritually inclined books and dvd's ( no regular t.v. here at Chateau Dot Ranch) Philosophy and the concept of Consciousness fascinates me. Quantum physics showing us once and for all what the great spiritual teachings have long said, that we are all linked, all connected, and matter as we know it really does not even exist, it appears to us essentially as a hologram - a kind of consensual reality, if you will.

I mean really! How cool is that? Everything is 'the spaces in-between.....! And why, oh why do I even bring this up he
re in my horsey Blog? Well, as we all know, life is also a constant metaphor, and...... let's just apply this to our horses, shall we!?

It is one of my more challenging routines. To spend at least a few moments in the day in mediation....... and no, not just scooping poop. I mean being still, quiet, centered and receptive. I have read some about the truly phenomenal benefits of meditation, and I wish to allow it more into my life, but a few things here have grabbed my attention. They say ( they? I really want to meet 'them' one day) that meditation is getting into the gap between thoughts. And when we are nothing short of a constant stream of often nonsensical ramblings, (and often of such an old stagnant variety they are on the old 8-track tape.....) this is actually quit a feat. The spaces in-between..... I love the saying that prayer is talking to Source and meditation is listening.....hmmmm And what are we all so much better at?

So..................what do you suppose we are so much better at with our horses? Bingo! Talking to them. Telling them where to go, when to do it, how fast, what not to do, what foot to pick up, go over there, stay on a circle, trrroooot....and on and on we go.And not only that, but we come to our horses with our brains just a yammering away in our skulls, a million random thoughts firing out like on the 1st of July. You think for a moment that the horses aren't aware of our 'busy brain'? And that we are not present and available for mutual conversation ( that means both ways folks...:)? And we have the nerve to say...." Oh Blaze just isn't connecting today!" To what! a static machine.....? There is no space for them to be sometimes.

I really am getting fascinated with listening and watching for and allowing the spaces in-between. That's where mindfulness comes in. Awareness. Being-ness. Quiet
ness. Feeling. Shaping up what is presented. This entire concept has such far reaching implications and happily dove tails right into our Allow concept.

Allow me to expand a bit.....The spaces in-between are everywhere. Literally and figuratively, they are the precious spots where magic unfolds and the real juicy life happens...:) When we are working towards a goal and things just are not happening fast enough for us...it is a space in-between. This is where we learn things like Patience. Grace. Acceptance. Disappointment sometimes; but always leading to more growth. When Lauren 'hit the wall' with Chief, and allowed him whatever time he needed to just be.....no plans, no training, no responsibilities and now he is a changed horse. The spaces in-between. ( You simply HAVE to share his story one day LF!)

When I am asking for a maneuver when riding, I try to allow a space for them to find. A kind of air pocket, that they just slid into, almost a feeling I have for them to find. I do this through tiny ask and releases, encouraging them with clues of comfort. It also happens when they give their all and after a whopping 3 minutes in the ring, a beautiful piece I have been searching for appears for a moment. We quit for the day, and guess what? Some how, in the space in-between then and the next day, it has gotten bigger, better and more visible. The space in-between when you ask for the downward transition and softly hold that space and allow it to flow down, and then into the other lead. No tension, no brace.....Magic!

Sometimes on a long journey to a heart felt goal, things can get boggy and frustrating, tied up and knotted and we just want it so bad.... this is when I am learning to just Let Go and allow the spaces in-between to just be. It will all work out perfectly, and even better if I can keep my sticky little hands off the controls (!) for awhile. This seems to be especially true of things that are yucky, and difficult to deal with. Likely we are trying to hard ( never a good thing - try soft) and need to back off. Wait. allow. Be still. Nature works in a rhythm of ebb and flow, active and inactive, give and receive. We seem to get so insistent on gettin' er done. About achieving and completing and getting the result and the goal. Considering that death is the ultimate result, I say we opt for the spaces in-between and the glory of the journey.

I guess the spaces in-between means to me that we are allowing the universe a place in which to come. A place in which to flow through. A place to be. A place where we are able to listen........at least for a few moments a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment